Support & Advice

We believe every person should have someone they can trust.

MainStay - What to do if you're at risk of homelessness

To tackle homelessness, the city of Liverpool developed a revolutionary project called MainStay with the aim of providing improved access to short-term housing through support providers working together to assess and offer accommodation. MainStay helps ensure that all providers prioritise people with the greatest need.

YMCA Together led in the development and management of the system and it has proved to be extremely successful leading to the inclusion of floating support, outreach and health services. YMCA Liverpool have been managing and administering MainStay since 2013.

As one person MainStay has helped says: ‘I got my decisions on all the hostels the very same day. Previously I would have to complete many application forms and visit each service for a separate interview.’

We now provide the service across the Liverpool City Region to ensure that people who are homeless receive a fast, responsive and thorough assessment and are placed in the right service at the right time.

You can find out more about MainStay by emailing us at

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness you should contact your local housing options service. Housing Options services in the Liverpool City Region have access to MainStay and can refer you to temporary accommodation if needed. For details of Liverpool City Region Housing Options services please see the links below.

Liverpool Homeless or at risk? – Liverpool City Council

Sefton Homeless or at risk of homelessness (

Knowsley Homelessness and housing problems | Knowsley Council

Halton Housing & Homeless Advice (

St Helens Where do I go to find help? – St Helens Borough Council

Wirral   Help if you are homeless or might lose your home |

You can also find details of local services here: Search for homelessness services | Homeless Link

Domestic Abuse

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, you can contact our refuge on: 08081471993

Or you can access help via:
The Freephone National Domestic Abuse Helpline, run by Refuge on 0808 2000 247

Men can call Men’s Advice Line on 0808 8010 327 (Monday and Wednesday, 9am to 8pm, and Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9am to 5pm) for non-judgemental information and support.  Men can also call ManKind on 0182 3334 244 (Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm)

If you identify as LGBT+ you can call Galop on 0800 999 5428 for emotional and practical support.
Anyone can call Karma Nirvana on 0800 5999 247 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm) for forced marriage and honour crimes. You can also call 020 7008 0151 to speak to the GOV.UK Forced Marriage Unit

In an emergency, call 999

You can also email for support. It is important that you specify when and if it is safe to respond and to which email address:

Women can email Staff will respond to your email within 5 working days

Men can email

LGBT+ people can email

The Survivor’s Handbook from the charity Women’s Aid is free and provides information for women on a wide range of issues, such as housing, money, helping your children, and your legal rights.


If you are worried that you are abusive, you can contact the free Respect helpline on 0808 802 4040.

Drug and alcohol problems

You can call our rehab service on 0151 474 0685

Or you can access information about your local service here: Find Drug treatment services services – NHS (

There are lots of different approaches to help you to make positive changes to your drug or alcohol use. It’s important that you choose the approach that feels right for you. These sites provide you with some information about the different options.

SMART Recovery

Recovery Dharma

Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

Cocaine Anonymous

If you are a friend or family member impacted by your loved ones drug or alcohol issue you can find help and support here: Help for families | Adfam

If you are struggling with your gambling, you can find help here:


Mental Health

If you are struggling with your mental health you can seek support via your GP practice.

You can also call: Samaritans – 116123

You can find some helpful information on the MIND website: Home | Mind, the mental health charity – help for mental health problems

Or for urgent help you can find your local service here: Mental Health Helpline for Urgent Help – NHS (

LGBTQ Support

If you require advice with exploring your gender identity or sexuality or identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender you can access a range of services and activities which can provide support for you.

Navajo – In-Trust: Merseyside (

Trans Support Service (TSS) (

Home – Sahir House

GYRO- LGBTQ+ Youth (YPAS) – Liverpool CAMHS


Alternatively you can contact where you can speak to one of our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Champions who may be able to offer support.