Assistant Finance Manager
Closing date: November 27th, 2023
Assistant Finance Manager
Hours of Work:
37.5 hrs per week (Flexible working hours can be agreed)
YMCA Together – Leeds Street
Salary and benefits:
£30,000 per annum
- 33 days annual leave including bank holidays per annum
- Paid Medicash support
- Birthday Day off
- Spiritual Day off
- Charity day of your choice
- Well-being Hours
- Cycle To Work Scheme
- Refer a Friend Scheme
- Company Pension Scheme 4%
- Funded Training Opportunities
- Shortlisting on Monday the 27th of November 2023
- Interview/Assessment Day on Friday the 12th December 2023
YMCA Together has been voted No1 Charity to work for by our employees in 2022. YMCA is a registered charity and company Limited by Guarantee. We were founded in 1846 and so we build on a long history of providing a place for people experiencing challenging times in their lives.
YMCA Together is a truly value driven organisation.
Our vision is that everyone should feel safe, understood, empowered and positive for their future. We meet our vision by working within our values of Strength, Humility, Respect, Empathy and Kindness. These SHREK values run through all that we do from recruitment to how we work alongside people in our services to our partnership approach with other providers.
Our clear vision and values come together to help us in our mission to inspire and support people to change their lives by instilling hope, valuing the person and maximising potential.
Hours of Work
The post holder will be working Monday to Friday during office hours. Some time can be spent working from home.
To support the Finance Manager with the accounting and financial function of the organisation, including production of management accounts, adherence to accounting controls and procedures and provision of financial advice and support to internal managers, in accordance with current Standing Orders/Memorandum and Articles of Association
- To assist in the management of the day to day operations of the finance department and ensure an effective system of internal control.
- To maintain account records to professional standards and statutory requirements.
- Acting in conjunction with the senior leadership team (SLT), the finance manager, and the individual budget holders, assist in the preparation of the association’s annual budget, departmental budgets and cash flow forecasts.
- To provide financial advice and information to the Board, Senior Leadership Team and all budget holders and to assist them in the smooth and effective management of the association’s operations.
- To liaise with managers and budget holders re financial and accounting objectives.
- To prepare accurate and timely monthly management accounts, monthly financial and other ad hoc financial reports as requested/appropriate for Senior Leadership Team and the Board. (To include budgetary variances and cashflow statements).
- To liaise/meet with Internal Audit Committee/external Auditors as and when required/Directed by the Board.
- To assist in preparation of Annual Accounts for audit.
- To be responsible for ensuring that adequate financial controls exist regarding counting, recording and banking.
- To meet with Senior Leadership Team as and when required
- To liaise with external agencies, such as external auditors, Housing Corporation, Charity Commission, Inland Revenue, Suppliers, etc.
Provide assistance to the finance manager in the following activities:
- Exercise overall responsibility for the provision of financial management and internal control to the highest professional standard within the YMCA Together.
- Maintain a set of financial records that fully record the Assets and Liabilities of the YMCA Together.
- Regularly review the accounting methods of the YMCA Together and make recommendations for improving/updating the accounting system to the Chief Executive.
- Ensure all systems are designed and operated to minimise the risk of fraud.
- Manage the daily and long-term cash position to ensure cash is always available to meet the liabilities of the YMCA Together.
- Prepare budgets in consultation with Senior Leadership Team.
- Supervise and appraise the work of the Administration and Finance Officers.
- Produce Management Accounts and HCA Returns within the timescales nominated by the Board of Trustees/Housing Corporation.
- Ensure that the HCA criteria is adhered to.
- Ensure that the YMCA Together Policies/Procedures are implemented within the Finance Department (inc. Disciplinary/Grievance).
- Attend appropriate training courses and meetings in consultation with the SLT
- Directly manage and develop departmental staff in accordance with the YMCA Together Staff Development Policy.
- To input information onto the accounting system with respect to the housing system.
- To manage and supervise the financial reporting elements of housing system used by the organisation.
- Input accounting information onto the SAGE accounting system as required
- Prepare papers for consideration by the CEO, SLT and the Board of Trustees.
- Lead and manage by example.
- Facilitate at meetings and workshops as appropriate.
- Assist in the development and updating of organisational policies.
- Supervise, motivate and monitor staff and freelancers in their work.
- Participate in the recruitment of staff and freelancers and lead on planning and overseeing their induction.
- Ensure personnel records are correctly maintained.
- Ensure effective communication with staff within YMCA Together.
- Work flexibly to meet the changing needs of the organisation.
- Undertake any other duties that may be reasonably requested.
Professional Practice and Development
- Attend regular supervision sessions with the Director of Finance in accordance with the supervision contract.
- Maintain good professional practice and ensure ongoing development, through use of supervision and training.
- Provide progress reports to the Director of Finance and key stakeholders as required.
- Keep up to date with research and practice to maintain knowledge necessary for this post.
- Respect the confidentiality of service users using the service and be responsible for the security of personal and confidential information.
- Carry out all these duties within the organisation’s safety guidelines
Person Specification – Assistant Finance Manager
- HND/HNC or equivalent in Accountancy
A.T.3 or NVQ 3 Accounting & Payroll
A.A.T 2 or NVQ 2 Accounting & Payroll
- A Level Maths, English
- GCSE Maths, English and IT
- Commitment to attaining a suitable accountancy qualification.
- Professional Development and membership of professional body Excel or Sage
- Proven experience of working in a finance office environment.
- Proven supervisory experience.
- Experience of Sales Ledger, Purchase Ledger, Credit Control
- Experience of producing regular monthly management accounts
- Experience of working in the charity sector
- Knowledge of Excel
- Knowledge of Database Management
- Verbal Skills The ability to communicate, clearly and effectively, financial information to managers and senior finance staff in sufficient detail to enable them to manage effectively.
- The ability to motivate other Finance Assistants
- To be a credible and satisfactory point of contact for financial queries, with only the more complex ones being referred to the Finance Manager for advice and resolution if required.
- The ability to lead on training provision to Finance Assistants.
- Excellent written skills, must be able to present any written information clearly and concisely in order to convey guidance or information relating to queries from a routine and complex nature
- Committed to own personal development and CPD planning
- Courteous manner towards tenants, customers, and colleagues
- Creative and dynamic approach with the ability to “think outside of the box” when providing solutions
- Energetic, highly motivated with a reputation of being held in high regard by their peers
- Excellent interpersonal/ communication skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Committed to own career development
- Ability to work within and have commitment to YMCA Together’s ethos, philosophy and SHREK values, Strength, Humility, Respect, Empathy and Kindness.
- Energetic, dynamic, and self-motivated
If you would like to apply for this role please click here APPLY NOW
To download a copy of our application form, please click HERE
If you would like to apply not directly through the website, please email your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org