Care and Support Team Leader
Closing date: December 4th, 2023
Care & Support Team Leader
Supervision of staff agreed with the Service Manager and the post holder may also carry a small caseload of residents
Hours of Work:
38.6 hrs per week (Average) – working over 4 Days on and 4 Days off – 12 hour shifts
Ullet Road, Liverpool
Salary and benefits:
- 33 Days Annual leave including bank holidays per annum
- Paid Medicash support
- Birthday Day
- Charity Day
- Spiritual Day
- Well-being Hours
- Cycle To Work Scheme
- Refer a Friend Scheme
- Company Pension Scheme 4%
- Funded Training Opportunities
Shortlisting and Interview Dates:
Shortlisting Date – 4th December 2023
Interview/Assessment Day – 8th December 2023
YMCA Together has been voted No1 Charity to work for by our employees in 2022. YMCA is a registered charity and company Limited by Guarantee. We were founded in 1846 and so we build on a long history of providing a place for people experiencing challenging times in their lives.
YMCA Together is a truly value driven organisation.
Our vision is that everyone should feel safe, understood, empowered and positive for their future. We meet our vision by working within our values of Strength, Humility, Respect, Empathy and Kindness. These SHREK values run through all that we do from recruitment to how we work alongside people in our services to our partnership approach with other providers.
Our clear vision and values come together to help us in our mission to inspire and support people to change their lives by instilling hope, valuing the person and maximising potential.
Based in the Care Home your role will be to provide an additional level of operational leadership in the service that ensures that staff are supported to grow and develop within their role. To support the Service Manager to carry out their duties in delivering a service of excellence.
Hours of Work
The home will be staffed 24/7 and the post holder will be working a rota 12 hour shifts on a 4 on and 4 off basis.
Duties and responsibilities
- Supervise a team of Care & Support Practitioners
- Managing a small caseload of residents as required
- Maintain excellent communication with YMCA Together Management team
- Attend and at times chair fortnightly team meeting and/or Reflective practice and debriefs
- Lead and support the team to advocate on our resident’s behalf in strategy meetings, (inc MASH/MARAM) and other MDTs
- Lead on the monitoring and reporting of Serious Incidents, Safeguarding and Health & Safety for the service and report back to OLT (operational leadership team)
- Oversight of the Medication Management and processes to ensure compliance and safe storage and administration
Responsibilities to the Support Manager
- To compile and collate information for monthly reports on KPI’s
- Ensure YMCA Together complies with CQC requirements
- To give informed opinions and make recommendations regarding care, support, housing and HR issues that impact on the service, residents and staff team.
- To make recommendations to the Support Manager on the development of the service which involve any financial commitments or alterations to service delivery
- Attend and meaningfully contribute to communication meetings with the Service Manager, submitting reports on request
Representing YMCA Together
- Attend meetings as required both internal and external
- Attend stakeholder days, forums and other external events
- Represent YMCA Together at regional and national level from time to time
- Develop relationships with partner agencies, referral agencies and all other stakeholders.
Line Management and HR responsibilities
- Support and develop the capacity and motivation of the team to deliver an innovative and high-quality support and care service
- Monitor the team’s contribution to meeting KPIs ensuring compliance of staff with the finances, occupancy and other target areas
- Collate data on the performance of the service and team and make recommendations to the Support Manager to ensure the service achieves its KPI’s
- Allocation of Residents to allocated workers to ensure the residents have the most appropriate care & support worker assigned
- Ensure the induction of new staff to the service
Working with our Residents
- Carry out new resident welcomes, inducting residents into the service including registering with doctors’ etc and completion of immediate needs and initial care plan
- Ensure that residents have a full understanding of their rights and responsibilities during their stay including the need to engage with care assessments, social care and other statutory services.
- Support residents to maintain their independence, to achieve their goals and targets as defined/ agreed within their care plans and care plans
- Manage, update and communicate resident risk assessments in line with YMCA Together policy and procedure including positive risk taking where appropriate, medication management etc.
- Ensure that all care and support plans document changes in behaviours, understanding, specific person-centred needs like cognitive ability and mobility so that needs can always be adequately met.
- Provide elements of personal care as detailed in individuals care plans ensuring that a Resident’s dignity is placed at the centre of any interaction.
- Delegated Health tasks as required based on individuals care needs, training will be provided.
- Work collaboratively with all other statutory and non-statutory agencies and if there is an unmet need work alongside team leader and manger to ensure correct pathways are followed up.
- Lead on relevant MDT’s for your caseload, preparing and sharing information to teams involved.
- Up to date records must be kept on support planning systems DAVE and in any resident’s files
- Conduct reviews of risk assessments and plans to appropriate timescales and when changes identified, keeping all relevant parties informed of updates/changes
- Complete regular scheduled cleaning duties throughout the building as timetabled including regular room cleans alongside supporting residents in the management of their room
- Participate in the planning and delivery of daily group work and activities throughout the setting.
- Provide information and advice to the people we support in accordance with their support and care plans
- Motivate and challenge the people we support so they identify and realise their goals
- Encourage involvement and participation among the people we support in the running and shaping of the service provided by planning and attending regular resident meetings
- Deal promptly with all complaints and safeguarding concerns or disclosures
- Provide clear, accurate and good quality information in respect of all residents in line with agreed procedures ensuring that appropriate information is shared with the line managers
- Demonstrate creativity in overcoming obstacles and a commitment to working with and providing support to vulnerable people.
Health and Safety
- Liaise with emergency services
- Ensure at all times the safety of yourselves and others on the premises in which you work
- Ensure the buildings meet legislation requirements
- To ensure and support your team to conduct daily Health and Safety checks
- To report, log and communicate all incidents to the appropriate people
- Conduct welfare checks as specified during the shift
- To complete cleaning duties to an appropriate standard meeting infection control and COSHH requirements
- Ensure adherence to YMCA Together visitor’s policy and procedure
- To adhere to all risk management protocols.
- Develop trusting and secure working relationships with colleagues, sharing information and expertise, covering absence and working together to deliver high quality services.
- Maintain contacts with local statutory and voluntary agencies and organisations attending/ representing YMCA Together at relevant local community forums, seminars and conferences as required.
- Contribute to the organisations formulation of policy and procedures
- Prepare for and attend supervision and appraisal sessions with the Support Manager taking direction as appropriate and contributing to the development of both you and the service.
- Attend to all enquiries and pass messages onto relevant people
- Undertake own administrative services
- Uphold and develop YMCA Together Equal opportunities and Diversity policy of anti-discriminatory practices across all services
- Adhere to Safeguarding protocol and policy
- Report and log all serious and safeguarding incidents
- Observe and ensure compliance with the professional boundaries and data protection policy.
The post holder will be expected to carry out other duties consistent with the responsibilities of the post and may be requested from time to time, they will be expected to demonstrate flexibility in all areas of their work. They will be expected to carry out some out of hours duties such as emergencies and meetings called at short notice
Scope and limits of authority
Work within agreed policies recommending changes where necessary and co-operate with all other staff to ensure the best interests of YMCA Together are always a prime consideration.
Person Specification -Team Leader – Care Home
- Qualification or working experience in Care or Support Services
- Recognised leadership or Level 4 or above Health and/or Social care qualification
- At least 1 years’ experience of working within a Care or Support setting or similar and a working knowledge of support planning, welfare rights, benefits advice, mental health issues, offending, drug and alcohol misuse, working with partner agencies, safeguarding and resettlement.
- An understanding and experience of providing personal care to vulnerable adults
- Financially Literate
- Experience working in a CQC registered care setting
- Experience of coordinating three-way meetings
- Experience of working with end of life
- Experience of resettlement of an individual into independent living.
- Experience of providing personal care
- A working knowledge of providing support and care
- A working knowledge of Health & Safety issues
- A good understanding of the mental capacity act and the ability to make best interest decision and explain reasoning
- A clear understanding of complex needs support issues such as mental health, homelessness, substance misuse and offending
- Knowledge of Adult safeguarding protocols
- Understanding of how to deal with challenging and chaotic individuals
- A knowledge of how to provide dignity in care
- Knowledge of health interventions & Managing medication
- Knowledge of Psychological Informed practice
- Knowledge of Substance Misuse and harm reduction
- Knowledge of supporting Residents through the care act assessment framework
- Manage the day to day running of the service and the issues arising from a 24/7 service 365 days a year
- Develop a high-quality person-centred approach
- Develop the potential of individual staff via supervisions and appraisals to facilitate effective succession planning
- The ability to conduct comprehensive and accurate risk assessments
- To provide effective and consistent care and support planning with the people we support
- Excellent IT, communication, interpersonal, interviewing and assessment skills
- Excellent administration skills and the ability to accurately and concisely record information and write reports
- Plan and deliver workshops and sessions to residents, staff and partner agencies
- Demonstrate creativity in overcoming obstacles and a commitment to working with and providing support to vulnerable people
- Ability and willingness to work unsupervised
- Ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines.
- Analytical, data collation and reporting skills
Must have the Interpersonal ability and skills to:
- Develop a strong culture in accordance YMCA Together values
- Develop and sustain excellent working relationships with partners, the city council officers and commissioners
- Develop and sustain sound working relationships with local people and local community groups.
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and passionate about their work
- Flexibility, adaptability and ability to work as part of a team
- Work within the ethos and philosophy of the YMCA Together
If you would like to apply for this role please click here APPLY NOW
To download a copy of our application form, please click HERE
If you would like to apply not directly through the website, please email your completed application form to email@example.com