Care Home Service Manager
Closing date: September 1st, 2023
Care Home Service Manager
Director of Homeless Services
YMCA Together Care Home, Liverpool
Hours of Work:
37.5 Hrs per Week
Ullet Road, Liverpool
Salary and benefits:
£33,976 + 5% on call allowance
- 35 Days Annual leave including bank holidays per annum
- Paid Medicash support
- Birthday Day
- Charity Day
- Spiritual Day
- Well-being Hours
- Cycle To Work Scheme
- Refer a Friend Scheme
- Company Pension Scheme 4%
- Funded Training Opportunities
YMCA Together has been voted No1 Charity to work for by our employees in 2022. YMCA is a registered charity and company Limited by Guarantee. We were founded in 1846 and so we build on a long history of providing a place for people experiencing challenging times in their lives.
YMCA Together is a truly value driven organisation.
Our vision is that everyone should feel safe, understood, empowered and positive for their future. We meet our vision by working within our values of Strength, Humility, Respect, Empathy and Kindness. These SHREK values run through all that we do from recruitment to how we work alongside people in our services to our partnership approach with other providers.
Our clear vision and values come together to help us in our mission to inspire and support people to change their lives by instilling hope, valuing the person and maximising potential.
Main purpose of Job
The Service Manager is responsible for the effective operational management of the YMCA Care Home Liverpool. The post holder will line manage the Support Staff. Working closely in a team with The Director of Homeless services , the post holder will provide day to day management and assist in the development of the services.
- Ensure residents receive flexible, person-centred support informed by Cognitive Analytical Approach (CAT) and reflective practice
- Manage the day to day running of the accommodation using a Psychological informed Approach in line with the requirements of being a CQC registered setting
- To ensure that referrals into the service are assessed and managed correctly, that the correct funding stream has been applied, liaising with Adult Social Care around assessments and support allocation
- Maintain excellent communication with YMCA Management team
- To maintain the quality standard of the buildings ensuring all Health & Safety compliance is in place and repairs and maintenance are completed
- To supervise, support and direct your staff to make appropriate and informed decisions around our client’s support and accommodation.
- To monitor and review monthly reports on KPI’s
- To ensure the service meets and sustains a high level of quality standards for CQC and external and internal audits
Working in the wider organisation
- To give informed opinions and make recommendations regarding support, housing and HR issues that impact on the service, residents and staff team
- To make recommendations to the Director of homeless services on the development of the service which involves any financial commitments or alterations to service delivery
- Attend and meaningfully contribute to weekly communication meetings with the Director of homeless services and OLT, submitting reports on request.
Representing YMCA Together
- Attend all meetings both internal and external
- Attend stakeholder days, forums and other external events
- Develop relationships with partner agencies, referral agencies and all other stakeholders.
Line Management and HR Responsibilities
- Support and develop the capacity and motivation of the team to deliver an innovative and high-quality service that places the care of the individual at the heart of what they do
- Support and monitor the team’s performance when working alongside Adult social care and the delivery of combined care plans
- Collate data on the performance of the service and team and make recommendations to the Director of Services to ensure the service achieves its KPI’s
- Allocation of residents to support workers to ensure the residents have the most appropriate care & support worker is assigned
- Organise the staff rota and cover for the service and keep records of sickness, toil, rotas and annual leave ensuring the continuity of support for residents
- Set individual objectives with the team in negotiation with the Director of services and team members
- Identify training needs and requirements for individuals to ensure successful delivery of the programme
- Assist the Director of Homeless services to manage disciplinary and grievance procedures when necessary
- Ensure there is a thorough induction and on boarding of new staff to the service
Working with Residents
- Ensure there is an appropriate schedule of care and activities throughout the day and night to meet the needs of the residents
- Encourage involvement and participation from residents in the development, running and shaping of the service
- Work collaboratively with the local community to reduce ASB and ensure our positive reputation is maintained
Health and Safety
- Liaise with emergency services
- Ensure at all times the safety of yourselves and others on the premises in which you work
- Ensure the buildings meet legislation requirements
- Ensuring that you embed and adhere to organisational Health & Safety policies and procedures within your service delivery.
- Develop trusting and secure working relationships with colleagues, sharing information and expertise, covering absence and working together to deliver high quality services
- Maintain contacts with local statutory and voluntary agencies and organisations attending/ representing YMCA Together at relevant local community forums, seminars and conferences as required
- Contribute to the organisations formulation of policy and procedures
- Attend and participate in team meetings to ensure good communications and liaison with colleagues
- Prepare for and attend supervision and appraisal sessions with the Director of services ,taking direction as appropriate and contributing to the development of both you and the service.
- The post holder will be required to have contact with a variety of people during the course of their work. The context of this contact will vary from formal ‘Key working’ to informal networking and relationship building with the Local Authority and other relevant agencies
- It is recognized that the association is operating in a dynamic environment and as such this job description may be varied in consultation with the post holder to reflect evolving needs of the business and changing nature of the job.
- Observe and ensure compliance with the professional boundaries and data protection policy
- To have a flexible and positive attitude to all team members
- To be committed to learning both as an individual and as part of a team
- Undertake own administrative services and report writing
- Prioritise workload
- To work to agreed individual, team and organisational objectives and to work towards the organisations performance targets
- Sharing information and expertise with colleagues, covering absence and working together to deliver a high-quality service
- Uphold and develop our Equal Opportunities Policy of anti-discriminatory practices across all services
- Observe and ensure compliance with the Service Code of Conduct including professional boundaries and confidentiality at all times
- Adhere to all YMCA Together policies and procedures
- Report and log all safeguarding incidents
- Dealing promptly with all complaints in line with our policies and procedures
- Prepare for and attend supervision and appraisal sessions with your line manager, taking direction as appropriate and contributing to the development of both you and the service.
The post holder will be expected to carry out other duties consistent with the responsibilities of the post and may be requested from time to time, they will be expected to demonstrate flexibility in all areas of their work. They will be expected to carry out some out of hours duties such as emergencies and meetings called at short notice.
Scope and limits of authority
Work within agreed policies recommending changes where necessary and cooperate with all other staff to ensure the best interests of YMCA Together are always a prime consideration.
Person Specification – Service Manager – Care Home
- A degree level qualification or equivalent in a relevant discipline, or a significant level of experience
- Experience of managing a care home/sheltered scheme or supported accommodation.
- Care, Housing, or management related qualification
- Experience of operational HR matters such as Supervising Staff/recruitment/ selection/ induction of employees and volunteers
- Must be financial literate
- Experience of handling grievances, disciplinary, supervisions and appraisals
- Experience of working with Quality Frameworks like CQC
- Experience of scheduling the care of residents
- Experience of chairing & leading in Multi agency meetings
- Working knowledge of relevant legislation in housing Health & Safety, Mental Capacity, Safeguarding, Welfare Reform
- A comprehensive working knowledge of the latest best practice in
- -Risk Assessments
- -Creative support planning
- -Human Resource Management
- -Supporting complex needs
- -Psychological Informed approaches
- Knowledge of additional care needs like Dementia/ABI, Substance misuse, Trauma, Mental Health, Palliative car
- Working knowledge of health interventions
- Knowledge of the cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT) framework
- Understanding of requirements of working in a CQC setting
The technical ability to:
- Manage the day to day running of the setting and the issues arising from a 24/7 service 365 days a year
- Lead on the management and development of a team through sound recruitment, selection, induction procedures for new employees and volunteers
- Develop a high-quality person-centred approach
- Develop the potential of individual staff via supervisions and appraisals to facilitate effective succession planning
- Must be computer literate in MS Word, MS Excel, MS office and have the ability to learn new software packages
Must have the Interpersonal ability and skills to:
- Develop a strong culture in accordance YMCA Together values
- To be an exemplary professional displaying Strength, Humility, respect, empathy and kindness in day to day working relationships
- Develop and sustain excellent relationships with multi-disciplinary team and other organisations within Liverpool and the city council officers and commissioners
- Develop and sustain sound working relationships with local people and local community groups
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and passionate about their work
- Flexibility, adaptability and ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work within the ethos and philosophy of the YMCA
If you would like to apply for this role please click here APPLY NOW
To download a copy of our application form, please click HERE
If you would like to apply not directly through the website, please email your completed application form to email@example.com