Closing date: March 28th, 2022
|Job Title:||Hostel Manager|
|Responsible to:||Director of Homeless Services|
|Responsible for:||Florence House Liverpool|
|Hours of Work:||37.5 hrs per week (flexible working hours can be agreed)|
|Location:||YMCA Together Florence House|
|Salary and benefits:
|£32,019 + 5% on call allowance
Holiday entitlement is 25 days plus bank holidays
Company Contributory Pension Scheme
YMCA Together is a registered charity and company Limited by Guarantee. We were founded in 1846 and so we build on a long history of providing a place for people experiencing challenging times in their lives.
YMCA Together is a truly value driven organisation.
Our vision is that everyone should feel safe, understood, empowered and positive for their future. We meet our vision by working within our values of Strength, Humility, Respect, Empathy and Kindness. These SHREK values run through all that we do from recruitment to how we work alongside people in our services to our partnership approach with other providers.
Our clear vision and values come together to help us in our mission to inspire and support people to change their lives by instilling hope, valuing the person and maximising potential.
Main purpose of Job
The Hostel Manager is responsible for the effective operational management of the Florence House service. The post holder will line manage the Support Staff. Working closely in a team with the Director of Homeless Services, and wider operational leadership and the post holder will provide day to day management and assist in the development of the services.
Hours of Work
The post holder will be working primarily between the hours of 9am and 5pm, with the occasional requirement to work flexible hours as appropriate to the post including some weekends and evenings as part of the 24/7 rota and to be on call out of hours.
- Ensure residents receive flexible, person-centred support informed by Cognitive Analytical Approach (CAT) and reflective practice
- Manage the day to day running of the accommodation using a “Psychological informed Approach”
- Maintain excellent communication with YMCA Management team
- To Maintain the quality standard of the buildings ensuring all Health & Safety compliance is in place and repairs and maintenance are completed
- To supervise, support and direct your staff to make appropriate and informed decisions around our clients support and accommodation.
Responsibilities to the Director of Homeless Services and OLT
- To compile and collate monthly reports on KPI’s
- To give informed opinions and make recommendations regarding support, housing and HR issues that impact on the service, residents and staff team
- To make recommendations to the Director of Homeless Services on the development of the service which involve any financial commitments or alterations to service delivery
- Attend and meaningfully contribute to weekly communication meetings with the Director of Homeless Services and OLT, submitting reports on request.
- Attend all meetings both internal and external
- Attend stakeholder days, forums and other external events
- Develop relationships with partner agencies, referral agencies and all other stakeholders.
Line Management and HR Responsibilities
- Support and develop the capacity and motivation of the team to deliver an innovative and high-quality support and housing service
- Monitor the team’s contribution to the collection of rents and ensuring compliance of staff with the HB application process and complex HB claims
- Collate data on the performance of the service and team and make recommendations to the Director of Homeless Services to ensure the service achieves its KPI’s
- Allocation of residents to support workers to ensure the residents have the most appropriate support worker assigned
- Organise the staff rota and cover for the service and keep records of sickness, toil, rotas and annual leave ensuring the continuity of support for residents
- Monitor, collate and audit support workers weekly folders, achievement records, risk management plans, support plans, support contracts, CAT plans, Outcome Stars, room checks, and outcomes to ensure all are reflecting the delivery of high-quality consistent support across the service
- Set individual objectives with the team in negotiation with the Director of Homeless Services and team members
- Identify training needs and requirements for individuals to ensure successful delivery of the programme
- Assist the Director of Homeless Services to manage disciplinary and grievance procedures when necessary
- Ensure the induction of new staff to the service.
Working with Residents
- Encourage involvement and participation from residents in the development, running and shaping of the service
- Hear appeal cases, complaints and complaints from the public as required.
Health and Safety
- Liaise with emergency services
- Ensure at all times the safety of yourselves and others on the premises in which you work
- Ensure the buildings meet legislation requirements
- Ensuring that you embed and adhere to organisational Health & Safety policies and procedures within your service delivery.
- Develop trusting and secure working relationships with colleagues, sharing information and expertise, covering absence and working together to deliver high quality services
- Maintain contacts with local statutory and voluntary agencies and organisations attending/ representing YMCA at relevant local community forums, seminars and conferences as required
- Contribute to the organisations formulation of policy and procedures
- Attend and participate in team meetings to ensure good communications and liaison with colleagues
- Prepare for and attend supervision and appraisal sessions with the Director of Homeless Services, taking direction as appropriate and contributing to the development of both you and the service.
- Undertake own administrative services
- Uphold and develop YMCA Equal opportunities and Diversity policy of anti-discriminatory practices across all services
- Adhere to Protection from abuse policy
- Report and log all safeguarding incidents
- Observe and ensure compliance with the professional boundaries and data protection policy.
The post holder will be expected to carry out other duties consistent with the responsibilities of the post and may be requested from time to time, they will be expected to demonstrate flexibility in all areas of their work. They will be expected to carry out some out of hours duties such as emergencies and meetings called at short notice.
Scope and limits of authority
Work within agreed policies recommending changes where necessary and cooperate with all other staff to ensure the best interests of YMCA are always a prime consideration.
Person Specification Hostel Manager
A degree level qualification or equivalent in a relevant discipline, or a significant level of experience
|Housing, management or training related qualification|
|Experience||Experience of operational HR matters such as Supervising Staff/recruitment/ selection/ induction of employees and volunteers
Must be financial literate
Experience of handling grievances, disciplinary, supervisions and appraisals
|Knowledge||Working knowledge of housing legislation, HMO requirements, Health & Safety, protection of vulnerable adults, safeguarding,
A comprehensive working knowledge of the latest best practice in
Creative support planning
Human Resource Management
Supporting complex needs
Psychological Informed approaches
|Knowledge of day services
Working knowledge of health interventions
Knowledge of the cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT) framework
|Skills||The technical ability to:
Manage the day to day running of the hostels and the issues arising from a 24/7 service 365 days a year
Assist with the management and development of a team through sound recruitment, selection, induction procedures for new employees and volunteers
Develop a high-quality person-centred approach
Develop the potential of individual staff via supervisions and appraisals to facilitate effective succession planning
Must be computer literate in MS Word, MS Excel, MS office and have the ability to learn new software packages
|Behaviour/ attributes||Must have the Interpersonal ability and skills to:
Develop a strong culture in accordance with YMCA SHREK values
To be an exemplary professional displaying Strength, Humility, respect, empathy and kindness in day to day working relationships
Develop and sustain excellent working relationships with Plus Dane, the Big Lottery, Intensive support service, multi-disciplinary team and other organisations within Liverpool and the city council officers and commissioners
Develop and sustain sound working relationships with local people and local community groups
Enthusiastic, self-motivated and passionate about their work
Flexibility, adaptability and ability to work as part of a team
Ability to work within the ethos and philosophy of the YMCA
YMCA Together does not accept C.Vs. All applications must be made using the YMCA Together application form. To download a copy of our application form, please click HERE
To apply, please email your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org