Closing date: February 18th, 2024
|Varying hours and shifts across 7 days
|What you will receive from us:
YMCA Together is a registered charity and company Limited by Guarantee. Volunteer Companion Role Purpose
To work as part of the team to enhance the lives of our residents to encourage engagement and enable our support staff to maintain quality services. The volunteer will develop positive relationships with residents across YMCA Together services by supporting social interaction and mental stimulation for residents within service experiencing challenging times. The volunteer will help facilitate and co-ordinate activities and events with the focus on supporting the residents to engage in these activities and socialise with the team and other residents.
We were founded in 1846 and so we build on a long history of providing a place for people experiencing challenging times in their lives.
YMCA Together is a truly value driven organisation.
Our vision is that everyone should feel safe, understood, empowered and positive for their future. We meet our vision by working within our values of Strength, Humility, Respect, Empathy and Kindness. These SHREK values run through all that we do from recruitment to how we work alongside people in our services to our partnership approach with other providers.
Our clear vision and values come together to help us in our mission to inspire and support people to change their lives by instilling hope, valuing the person and maximising potential.
Volunteer Chef Role Purpose
The volunteer will support the Leeds Street service by cooking and preparing quality meals as part of the care provided at the site. They will work as part of the team to enhance the lives of our residents and enable our support staff to maintain quality services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support with meal planning and preparation to be able to offer residents quality nutritious meals.
- Encourage resident participation and feedback in terms of meal variation.
- Develop effective communication skills to engage with residents.
- Be adaptable to residents’ preferences and changing circumstances, allowing for flexibility
- Be culturally sensitive, considering diverse backgrounds and preferences among residents.
- Strictly adhere to YMCA Together Health and Safety Policy and all aspects of food hygiene
- The post holder may be required to undertake additional duties commensurate with the level of this role.
- Ensure that all activity and engagement with residents complies with safeguarding legislation, policies and procedures.
Heathy and Safety
- Always ensure the safety of yourself and others on the premises in which you volunteer.
- Report, log and communicate all incidents to the appropriate people.
- Ensure adherence to YMCA Together policies and procedures when conducting activities, carrying out risk assessments before activities occur.
- Uphold and develop YMCA Equal Opportunities policy of anti-discrimination across all services.
- Ensure compliance with code of conduct, always including professional boundaries and confidentiality.
- Report all safeguarding incidents.
- Familiarise yourself with and ensure compliance with all YMCA policies and procedures.
The volunteer will be expected to carry out other duties consistent with the volunteer post’s responsibilities and to show flexibility in all areas of their work including the willingness to attend training if required.
It is recognised that the association operates in a dynamic environment and as such this role description may be varied in consultation with the volunteers to reflect the evolving needs of the business and changing nature of the role.
Person Specification – Volunteer Chef
|First Aid Training
Food hygiene qualification
|Previous experience of working in catering sector
Experience and good understanding of involvement and participation
|An understanding of relevant health and safety issues in respect of food preparation and hygiene.
|Able to interpret and apply guidelines and documentation relevant to the role
Conducting risk assessments
|Ability to communicate.
Patience, tolerance, and flexibility
|A pro-active approach, self-motivated and enthusiastic with a proficient level of initiative, innovative and imaginative thinking
|Creative and enjoys social interactions
A calm demeanor with a relatable and open behavior
Friendly, empathetic and approachable with a welcoming inclusive approach
An awareness of the importance of professional boundaries and confidentiality
Ability to interact and inspire
|Experience of or an interest in working with people with complex needs or challenging behaviors
If you would like to apply for this role please click here APPLY NOW
To download a copy of our application form, please click HERE
If you would like to apply not directly through the website, please email your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org