Closing date: N/A
Dutch Farm Project Lead
Hours of Work:
To be agreed
YMCA Together – Dutch Farm
Salary and benefits:
- Travel to and from Dutch Farm
- Lunch – daily
- Training courses tailored to your role such as, safeguarding, health and safety and professional boundaries
- Volunteer support group
YMCA Together has been voted No1 Charity to work for by our employees in 2022. YMCA is a registered charity and company Limited by Guarantee. We were founded in 1846 and so we build on a long history of providing a place for people experiencing challenging times in their lives.
YMCA Together is a truly value driven organisation.
Our vision is that everyone should feel safe, understood, empowered and positive for their future. We meet our vision by working within our values of Strength, Humility, Respect, Empathy and Kindness. These SHREK values run through all that we do from recruitment to how we work alongside people in our services to our partnership approach with other providers.
Our clear vision and values come together to help us in our mission to inspire and support people to change their lives by instilling hope, valuing the person and maximising potential.
Gardener Role Purpose
To work as part of the team at Dutch Farm with the Project Lead and Project Support Worker to provide practical support, maintenance and to assist with facilitating wellbeing activities for residents and visitors to the farm. The volunteer will also help maintain the gardens and ensure the farm is well kept and maintained, ensuring health and safety standards are met. The volunteer will help ensure Dutch Farm is welcoming and secure and will support the team with other community organisations and groups who may assist from time to time.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Oversight of any areas with regards to garden space and premises, reporting any concerns identified.
2. General maintenance of garden area and external buildings at Dutch Farm
3. To assist with watering, weeding and planting as needed.
4. To keep pathways and all areas clean and cleared of debris, which may involve litter picking and emptying bins
5. Undertake some grounds work, which could include grass cutting
6. Construction of garden structures i.e. crates, supports, border edges
7. Installing new landscaping where required
8. Looking after gardening machinery, equipment and resources
9. Maintaining boundaries and removing invasive species
10. Undertake basic repairs that do not require a specialised technician or worker
11. Remove fallen branches or other parts of the landscaping at the farm
12. To ensure that in all respects of direct operations, relevant policies and good practice are adhered to. These include safeguarding, health and safety, equality and diversity, amongst others
13. The volunteer may be required to attend, from time to time, training as required by their own training needs and the needs of YMCA Together
14. To establish supportive and effective working relationships with other staff, residents and visitors to the farm
15. The post holder may be required to undertake additional duties commensurate with the level of this role.
Resident and Visitor Involvement and Engagement
- Encourage involvement, participation and co-production from residents and visitors
- Provide a safe, welcoming environment for all with excellent standards and an ethos of service delivery that encourages residents and visitors to engage.
Health and Safety
- Ensure at all times the safety of yourself and others on the premises in which you volunteer
- Conduct Health and Safety checks, if required
- Report, log and communicate all incidents to the appropriate people
- Ensure adherence to YMCA Together policies and procedures.
- Excellent communication with all YMCA Together staff and residents
- Flexible and positive approach
- To be committed to learning and personal development both as an individual and as part of a team
- Sharing information and expertise with the team
- Develop excellent and robust relationships with all visitors to the farm.
- Uphold and develop YMCA Equal Opportunities policy of anti discrimination across all services
- Ensure compliance with code of conduct, including professional boundaries and confidentiality at all times
- Report all safeguarding incidents
- Familiarise yourself with and ensure compliance with all YMCA policies and procedures.
The volunteer will be expected to carry out other duties consistent with the responsibilities of the volunteer post and to demonstrate flexibility in all areas of their work including the willingness to attend training if required.
It is recognised that the association operates in a dynamic environment and as such this role description may be varied in consultation with the volunteer to reflect the evolving needs of the business and changing nature of the role.
Person Specification – Volunteer Gardener
- Qualifications related to the work gardening / landscaping / shrubs and planting
- First Aid Training
- Interest in gardening, natural heritage and working outdoors and in all weathers is essential
- Environmental awareness to support maintenance of green spaces
- Previous history of working in maintenance or gardening
- Experience in the voluntary or statutory sector
- Planning and delivery of projects Community gardens or wildlife spaces
- A basic knowledge of plant care and use of gardening tools.
- An understanding of relevant health and safety issues in respect of gardening
- Able to interpret and apply guidelines and documentation relevant to the role
- Organisational skills
- Effective listening skills
- Ability to communicate.
- Patience, tolerance, and flexibility
- Good attention to detail
- Practical DIY Skills.
- Ability to multitask and self-manage
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Positive attitude
- Flexible – able to work evenings (and weekends on occasions)
- Willing to develop skills and take advantage of training available
- Integrity and honesty
- Able to work as a member of a team
- Ability to work within and have commitment to YMCA ethos, philosophy and SHREK values, Strength, Humility, Respect, Empathy and Kindness.
- Energetic, dynamic and self motivated
- Creative approach Willingness to participate in other work if required
If you would like to apply for this role please click here APPLY NOW
To download a copy of our application form, please click HERE
If you would like to apply not directly through the website, please email your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org